About this class
The MOE Mathematics Syllabus (Primary School) seeks to prepare students for a productive life in the 21st century:
“The overarching goal of the mathematics curriculum is to ensure that all students will achieve a level of mastery of mathematics that will service them well in life, and for those who have the interest and ability, to pursue mathematics at the highest possible level.
The broad aims of mathematics education in Singapore are to enable students to:
- Acquire and apply mathematical concepts and skills;
- Develop cognitive and metacognitive skills through a mathematical approach to problem solving; and
- Develop positive attitudes towards mathematics.
At TCHER Online, we seek to complement school learning and support our students as they navigate through primary school academics.
Although our courses are divided into years (e.g. P4, P5 and P6), students may join any course they feel is appropriate for their learning level. Many of our P6 students who join in PSLE year take the P5 course as a refresher on top of the P6 lessons. Students are also welcome to join a higher level if they are able to cope with the advanced materials.
TCHER Online’s Maths tuition combines skilled, MoE-trained teachers familiar with the syllabus and key strategies to help your child learn. Our teaching involves:
- The C-P-A Approach (concrete-pictorial-abstract) is a system of learning that uses physical and visual aids to build a child’s understanding of abstract topics.
- Polya’s 4-Step Approach to problem-solving.
- Differentiated Teaching – teaching the same material to all students using a variety of instructional strategies.
- Effective Questioning (Bloom’s Taxonomy) is one of the most recognized and used educational tools that attempt to move students beyond simple memorization.
- Error analysis.
We also encourage student reflections to help them understand why they need to learn the subject matter at hand which in turn helps motivate them to learn and enjoy the learning process. We also provide timely feedback so that students can act upon any weaknesses before they become a bigger problem.
Our main goal at the Primary 4 level is to equip your child with the necessary skills and problem-solving strategies to make the passage from lower primary a smoother, less stressful journey. Our Mathematics curriculum is an excellent vehicle to train your child’s mind to think logically, critically, and creatively.
Click through to the different levels below to look at the individual programmes.